The legislation in Qatar is quite strict when it comes to citizenship, as such status can be obtained after living in this country for at least 25 years. There are other conditions imposed regarding Qatar citizenship that can be entirely explained by one of our specialists.
Table of Contents
Conditions for citizenship in Qatar
Legal residents living in Qatar for at least 25 years without interruptions of more than 2 consecutive months in one year can apply for Qatari citizenship. The process is quite complex for non-Qatari citizens, however, they can be good candidates for such a status. We present you other citizenship conditions for Qatar in 2023 that you should pay attention to:
- Before applying for citizenship, one must apply for permanent residence and already live in the country for 5 years. Even so, the process might take a few years until is concluded.
- The authorities will solicit information about the job and income. Therefore, the Qatar citizenship application also depends on the type of employment you have.
- Another thing you should consider refers to the verification of debts if any. The authorities in Qatar can ask you if you have any debts before the citizenship application.
- Knowing the Arabic language is another requirement for Qatar citizenship, even if the English language is commonly spoken in this state.
We suggest you address your requests on this topic to one of our agents who can also help you register a company in Qatar.
Investor visa in Qatar – What are the main requirements?
Permanent residency can be obtained by foreigners in Qatar through the Golden Visa Programme, under certain conditions. Among these, the acquisition of a real estate property worth at least USD 200,000 is mandatory but considering that such a purchase must be made in specific areas.
It should be noted that the Qatari Ministry of Interior is in charge of foreigners who want to invest in Qatar in exchange for permanent residence. In terms of requirements, an investor visa in Qatar is granted if all the conditions as respected, such as having a Good Conduct Certificate, a health report that shows you passed the medical examination, a valid passport, a clear criminal record, and proof you paid the relevant fees. We remind you that our specialists can give appropriate information and support to foreigners interested in an investor visa in Qatar. Feel free to discuss all the details about Qatar citizenship by investment.
Interested in immigration to Qatar? Our team of specialists is ready to provide you with the necessary support to comply with the conditions required for relocation. Obtaining a visa and a residence permit as well as registering with the local authorities are some of the steps to follow for resettlement in this country. Those interested in business can also apply for an investor visa, where other conditions must be met. Therefore, contact us if you want complete information about relocation to Qatar.
Qatari citizenship – Key points
In the following lines you can discover some of the features of Qatari citizenship that you should take into account when you want to apply for this status:
- Qatari citizenship by birth – Children born in Qatar and having a Qatari father are considered Qatari citizens from the start. On the other hand, children born to foreign parents in Qatar do not automatically benefit from Qatari citizenship.
- Qatari citizenship by descent – It can be obtained if at least one parent is a citizen of Qatar. However, it does not apply if foreigners are married to Qatari nationals.
- Qatari citizenship by naturalization – People who prove that they have lived in Qatar for at least 25 years can apply for citizenship. There are a series of formalities and requirements that must be respected, among them, is knowledge of the official language. One of our immigration lawyers in Qatar can tell you more about this.
- Dual citizenship – We remind you that foreigners who obtain Qatari citizenship must give up their current one because dual citizenship is not accepted in Qatar.
What checks do the authorities in Qatar do for foreign citizens who want to immigrate?
It is known that the authorities in Qatar carry out quite a lot of checks regarding foreign citizens who want to relocate to this country. In this sense, applicants for residency in Qatar and citizenships are required to have a clear criminal record, both outside and in Qatar. Practically, there should be no involvement in crimes in the country of origin, and not so much in Qatar. Also, applicants for residency or citizenship must provide proof of an employment contract and a salary, as part of the process. Medical certificates are also required, and to know the conditions better, it is important to contact our team of immigration lawyers in Qatar.
We also invite you to discuss more about residency in Qatar with one of our experts.
Way of life in Qatar
Many people want to relocate to Qatar due to the benefits offered in this country. With an extremely developed and continuously expanding economy, a high standard of living, and access to top education and healthcare services, Qatar is a country that offers excellent conditions for immigrants. And low taxation is one of the benefits that foreigners who relocate to Qatar enjoy.
A residence permit in Qatar can be obtained quite easily if all the conditions are met. Company incorporation in Qatar with a view to expansion is another reason why this country is chosen for relocation. One can open a company in Qatar in various fields of interest such as tourism, manufacturing, IT and innovation, and oil & gas. In this sense, if you want to set up a company in Qatar, you can opt for the services offered by our local specialists.
Is dual citizenship permitted in Qatar?
No, it is important to note that Qatar does not recognize dual citizenship. Please bear in mind that if you have another citizenship, the authorities have the power to revoke the Qatari citizenship. You can discuss more on this topic with our specialists.
A non-refundable fee of QAR 3,000 is solicited at the time of citizenship application that includes all family members. One of our local representatives can guide you throughout this process.
Losing the Qatari citizenship
Unfortunately, the Qatari legislation referring to foreigners is relatively strict, so it is best to ask for legal assistance and guidance if interested in permanent residence, investor visa in Qatar, or citizenship in Qatar. As an example, a person can lose Qatari citizenship if he/she decides to join military service in a foreign state or works in a country that does not have good political relations with Qatar.
The Qatari passport is powerful
According to the Guide Passport Ranking Index, the Qatari passport ranks 57th and it allows visa-free travel to 94 countries around the world. In other words, you can travel without restrictions or needing a visa. Even so, with these advantages, there are countries for which a visa is needed. If you would like to know more about the benefits of a Qatari passport in 2023 and about how to obtain one, please feel free to get in touch with our specialists.
Why is Qatari citizenship advantageous?
Once you receive citizenship in Qatar, you can enjoy many advantages and facilities. You have access to an extremely appreciated health system at the international level, as well as that of education. You also have access to other social services, as well as the right to vote.
We also specify that even if you meet the conditions for obtaining citizenship, either through ancestry or naturalization, the Qatari government has the last word in this regard. It provides the necessary approvals in this regard.
Investing in Qatar
Qatar is a great investment destination that offers a wide range of business possibilities to local entrepreneurs and also to ones from abroad. Fields like advanced manufacturing, agriculture, education, IT, engineering, energy, and health are quite representative in Qatar and among the choices of entrepreneurs, due to the benefits offered. Here are some facts and figures that highlight the economy of Qatar:
- In terms of total FDI stock for 2021, Qatar registered around USD 27,53 billion.
- The 2020 Doing Business report ranked Qatar 77th out of 190 worldwide countries in terms of simplified business.
- USA, South Korea, Japan, and Singapore are key investors in Qatar.
We have a dedicated team of company formation agents in Qatar who can help foreign entrepreneurs start a business in Qatar in 2023 by handling all the formalities implicated in the process. If you are interested in company incorporation in Qatar and want to benefit from a good start on the market, you can also opt for the services offered by our accountant in Qatar. Interested in obtaining citizenship in Qatar? Feel free to contact our company formation agents in Qatar who can also help foreigners start a business in this country at affordable prices.